Saturday, December 10, 2005

My second car

My second car in NZ was a Mercedes (280SE). I was at a car auction and scratched my ear. The man said "sold!" Actually, my dream has become bigger and I also needed the extra power to tow my 19-foot yacht (Kestrel) over the Kaimai to Tauranga harbour.
Then, for a while I own two dream cars. I used the Honda for 2 years and gave it to Kevin; but he refused to drive it. Finally, I gave it away for $500. Used cars are difficult to sell in NZ. Many back packers buy their cars at Auckland or Christchurch airports on arrival. They also arranged to sell them there on departure. The internet is great. All you need is an iphone to connect to the web and you are set to buy or sell anything; including sim cards or sleeping bags. Don't throw any thing away.

2 comments:

Leisa Dreps said...

What an auction experience, huh? :) Hmm, how’s the car doing now? I know that it has been almost seven years since you got this 280SE, so it definitely has a lot of mileage today. This would mean that the engine’s age had taken its toll, which would require you to have it checked more than ever. And this car is considered vintage, so there’s a greater chance of it breaking down. Looking forward to some updates!

David Chin said...

Leisa,
It was a joke (about scratching my ear). I did buy the Merc at auctions because it was every one's dream car in Malaysia. I was lucky to get one veary cheaply. After 2 years, I traded it for a Volvo 760GLE.